Difference between revisions of "Managing ETH groups"
Revision as of 09:24, 28 June 2019
Using ETH groups for user management is the recommended practice on our HPC clusters. An ETH group exported to LDAPS can be used to manage file permissions as well as user membership in a shareholder group. A common scenario is a group DEPT-ISG-GROUP that includes all members in the group's Leitzahl as well as semester students and visiting guests.
Managing ETH groups for use on our HPC clusters
Our cluster can make use of LDAP groups defined via the ETH Identity and Access Management system. As an ISG you can define a group in the IAM admin tool (main screen→Group management) and export it to LDAPS (Owner & Presence → Target Systems: LDAPS).
Keep the following points in mind:
- Type of group
- The ETH group needs to be exported to LDAPS. For consistency it is recommended to export it to AD (Active Directory), too.
- Do not change the group name
- Avoid changing the name of any group or contact us if you plan to do so.
- Use only the ETH-wide LDAPS subtree
- An ETH-wide group defined by any ISG will be in the
subtree of LDAPS. Groups specific to a department can not be used.
We can only use groups from the
subtree in LDAPS. That is the only way that we can provide service to and use services from the whole of ETH yet guarantee there are no collisions among group names or ids. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding using the IAM and/or LDAPS groups with our HPC clusters.